Saturday, March 04, 2006

Play the Game, Playas.

Theatresports is a game. I've reflected on this while teaching and performing.

It's a game, so succeeding at it all the time would be boring. Hell, if I slapped myself around every time I fell down a hole in Mario, landed on Boardwalk in Monopoly, or the bottle spun to another dude in Spin the Bottle, I'd be dead.

I know, since I do it all the time, that it's easy to punish yourself for "bad" improv. Don't do it. Watching someone punish themselves is like jamming broken glass up your nose. Very, very uncomfortable.

Confidence and communication. Use them, they are your tools. Calmness can be too, but hey, so can insane psycho energy. This is sort of a Buddhist society we belong to. There is a balance to everything. Of course, a carpenter doesn't have only 3 tools in his toolbox, and every carpenter doesn't use the same tools... whoa... One toke over the line.

Namaste, Playas...

No comments: