Thursday, March 09, 2006

Nonsense of Humour

Humour is a strange three-eyed monster. Let me elaborate.

In grade 5, there was a recorder test. Yes, recorder. That tin whistle-like plastic squealing device we were forced to play. Mike Ewanchuk, the sort-of "school bully", was to be tested at the same time as me. We were warned by the Mrs. Walton, the music teacher, that if we were to mock or laugh at someone in the class we would receive an automatic fail.

I don't like to fail exams.

Naturally, Mike was up first for his test. Try as he might, he couldn't bleat out "Mon Ami Pierrot" to save his miserable life. Then came the swearing... Man, it's funny when a young man with a recorder swears.

I feel like laughing... realizing I will fail if I do, I cover my mouth. I start "nose laughing". I cover my nose. I turn blue.

Mrs Walton screams "Shawn! Why are you trying to kill yourself?"

Wha? Cha-who? Come again?

I'm hauled down to the principal's office. I plead my case. He doesn't believe a boy would try to kill himself over a recorder test. I'm forced to tell the school councillor I'm suicidal...

This story is somehow hilarious. Traumatic at the time, but hilarious in retrospect. Thus, the nonsense of humour. The monster that is comedy.

Today's CD: The Bravery (Please, pick a track and let me know for my compilation)
Tracks: "An Honest Mistake", "No Brakes", "Fearless", "Tyrant", "Give In", "Swollen Summer", "Public Service Announcement", "Out of Line", "Unconditional", "The Ring Song", "Rites of Spring". (PS-- yes, you know the Bravery. "Don't look at me that waaaaay, It was an honest mistaaaake)

3 comments:

Quahtreenuh said...

Aren't recorders made out of plastic or wood? I would like to hear this tin recorder.

And I find the word "swollen" hilarious. My vote goes to "Swollen Summer"

Shawn Pallier said...

I'm going to make a new post today, so your vote might be the only one. My "High Fidelity" mission wanes, but perhaps all is not lost...yet. You are my one true "blend". (That means "blog friend" for you to add to the list of slang).

Anonymous said...

i would say go with honest mistake