Sunday, March 19, 2006

It's Hard to be Simple

And then it hit me.

Stop being so goddamned cerebral, you fool.

Keep some simple things in mind: All you need in an improv scene is already there.
We need not add elaborate scenarios.
Make the story about what has already been established...

I stood around in a scene again, friday night, saying nothing. I don't know why. But I think I'm cured. In the following scene, I said every single thought that came to my head and lived in the world we established. I didn't feel like I was waiting for lines to be done... I was a part of the scene. Maaan, that felt sweet. And entertaining without longing and pining for the audience to appreciate me. It's not about me.

But this blog sure is about me... so vote on a song in the comments from:
Todays CD: The Flaming Lips "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" (yeah, I mentioned it before, but I didn't show you the tracks... votey votey)
Tracks: "Fight Test", "One More Robot/Sympathy 3000-21", "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (Parts I & II)" "In The Morning of Magicians", "Ego Tripping At the Gates of Hell", "Are You a Hypnotist??", "It's Summertime", "Do You Realize??", "All We Have Is Now", "Approaching Pavonis Mans By Balloon (Utopia Planitia)"

Trivia: The last track won a Grammy for Best Instrumental Performance in 2003... cool.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so missed improv this weekend.
Je suis tres triste.
My vote goes to "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Pt. 1" because I heart that song lots.

Quahtreenuh said...

Well Scott seconded my last vote, so I will go with "Ego Tripping At The Gates of Hell" also.