Friday, March 24, 2006

I've Got to, Got to, Got to Have Faith

So everybody's got an opinion.

It's not easy being onstage representing Rapid Fire Theatre. The last thing we want to do is make an audience member say:

"Come on, if he/she can do it, I can. That totally sucked. I can do better."

But here's the mountain of a problem that lies directly on the surface of our training: Embrace failure.

We are constantly working towards making ourselves better improvisers, each and every one of us. A good improviser is always learning.

We are entitled to complain about a show that didn't go wonderfully, and so is our audience. Keep in mind, we don't know what's going to come out of our mouths next. That's the beauty.

Sometimes, we perform something that could actually develop into a play, a full-on theatre production. Whoo.

Sometimes, we perform something that wouldn't seem out of place on "Kids in the Hall". Whoo.

Sometimes, things fall apart. Whoo.

I remember a time I was in grade 4, I wanted to do a really shocking, super-fly dance to George Michael's "Faith". It was for a talent show.
I picked a spot, right dead centre of the stage, where I spread out in a death pose in a brown robe wearing a freaky old man mask. The music started.
"Faith" begins with a church organ solo. I was laying there, perfectly still, ready to "surprise" and shock my audience. Right from the first strum of the accoustic guitar, I popped my head up. And you know what I got?

Unbridled laughter.

That mask saved my life that day. My first response was; "Oh god! I've failed! They're laughing at me! They're laughing at me!..." But I learned my first improv lesson that day: Embrace failure.

I forgot all about my planned dance. I launched into flailing my limbs and wiggling my hips, all 4-foot nothing of me, and I goofed around at a piano that was on stage. Thrusting my pelvis, I did my best "Jerry Lewis and Jerry Lee Lewis' Love Child" impersonation. I loosened my art for the sake of my audience.

And was that really so bad?

My audience loved it. They ruptured my damn eardrums, and I'm just some total loser from 4th grade. But instinctively, I knew what they wanted.

So, if my audience looks at me and sees an idiot, I'll recognize that. I do art with the best of them. I love an awesome story, dramatic tension, and moody lights and bold sound.

I am your Chameleon. Make of me what you wish.

Today's CD: Cake "Pressure Chief".
Tracks: "Wheels", "No Phone", "Take It All Away", "Dime", "Carbon Monoxide", "The Guitar Man", "Waiting", "She'll Hang the Baskets", "End of the Movie", "Palm of your Hand", "Tougher Than It Is".

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well sean... I have actually been reading your blog alot Creep, eh? This is Jon from the prospect Jam. I am going to vote on Carbon Monoxide I freaking love that song. I think I might have to dig out my blogger password one of these days. Maybe I will retry blogging.
Jon

Anonymous said...

Hey shawn, have you got an idea as to who is gonna be onstage tonight?
I don't know how this CD voting thing goes, and even though i have the strange feeling you're supposed to vote for an album when you haven't heard it yet, I love "Pressure Chief" and I am therefore going to have to vote for the best song on the album, Wheels.
Hopefully I'll see you onstage tonight, and if not, then sunday.
-Jesse

Anonymous said...

"And was that really so bad?"
From the sounds of it, yes.

You're right about failure though. I find that when I set up expectations for how I want my stuff to go over, it doesn't turn out. Maybe it's better to set expectations for what you will do than it is to set expectations for how people will take it. That, and add more dirty words. Nay-nays.

Anonymous said...

But we all know that the audience laughs at good or bad improv. Entertaining can be dangerous, because it breed bad habits if people aren't conscientious. People aren't there for the lowest common denominator of improv we can provide them with, "at least I laughed" they deserve the most dazzling improv we can dish out. And I think continued vigilence, rather than relaxing and crossing our fingers, is what's going to provide them with that.

Quahtreenuh said...

I always enjoy interesting titles, and therefore will I choose "She'll Hang the Baskets"

Somehow this makes me think of macrame...

Congratulations (is that the right word?) on getting those slides back!

Missed having a proper conversation with you though. And what was the content of that opening speech? Err if you have time email me or something...