Monday, March 27, 2006

Like a tube of some sort of cream...

...it's time to clear things up.

I don't like dick and fart improv.

I don't like gags.

However, I don't want people to punish themselves for doing it.

I know, I really really know, that this company, Rapid Fire Theatre, strives constantly to be the best. I constantly strive to be the best. But I used to beat up myself onstage. With everybody watching. No, not in that Lee Evans comedy way I sometimes do. I mean in the way I would behave, and the improv that I presented.

I would get mad at myself, and I know my peers noticed. I would try to put on the mask that I was confident, but I started to get notes about being too cocky.

Man, this world is a delicate balance.

My point over the last few days has been this: Don't punish yourself. It doesn't make your improv better. I'm not saying "Don't learn from your mistakes", or, "I think everything's fine, as long as the audience laughs". But I understand how some might have misinterpreted some of my recent postings.

Which brings me to the new point I want to harp on: Be Clear. Clarity is very important.

I was getting frustrated with the fact that other improvisers were always naming what I was or what I was doing. But guess what? It's my fault. If I'm not clear about what I'm doing and what I am, then they're forced to name me.

I'm not saying this is easy, but I don't think anyone said it would be.

Today's CD: The French Kicks "Trial of the Century"
Tracks: "One More Time", "Don't Thank Me", "The Trial of the Century", "Oh Fine", "The Falls", "Was It A Crime", "Following Waves", "You Could Not Decide", "Yes, I Guess", "Only So Long", "Better Time".

4 comments:

Shawn Pallier said...

It's hilarious that I wasn't clear on clarity.

What I mean is, it is very important for an audience (and your fellow improvisers) to know what you are doing. Make a clear picture. If you're a ghost, be a ghost. Do what is associated with ghost-like activity (woooooo...(rattling of chains, and come to think of it, stating that you're a ghost... saying "in life, I was your father/brother/partner etc).

If you don't make it clear you're a ghost, someone will call you a person/object/animal. Then, you have to be chivalrous, and give up your idea.

Giving up an idea for the sake of the scene is great, but wouldn't you rather be that ghost that you came in thinking you were?

Present your ideas thoughtfully and clearly.

Quahtreenuh said...

To bad the CD isn't John Mayer so I can't vote for Clarity.... Haha...

So I will say "Oh Fine"

one of four Young Guns said...

Some kind of cream hey? Dick cream perhaps?

Arlen

Shawn Pallier said...

Yeah, my dick cream on your face! Oh, dammit... I said I didn't like dickprov. Now look what you made me do!!