Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Two Turntables, but no Microphone

I am now the proud owner of a "portable" RCA Victor Record Player.

It looks like a suitcase, but when you open it, two silver-thread covered speakers that look like coffins fold out, and a Garrard Turntable drops down. Just to give you an idea of it's age, this sucker has 4 speeds! (16(!), 33, 45, and 78 rpm). The only problem is this: It doesn't really play records fast enough. It's spinning just slow enough that David Bowie sounds a little more sad than usual... Now, I have 2 turntables that don't really work, but hey, a collection I have started.

My new addition came to me because I was helping an elderly woman move out of her west-end house. She is a Holocaust survivor. I was told she is a candy-maker (I don't know what the official title for a candy-maker is-- confecionist? Sugarmonger?). She says that she survived the concentration camps because of her talent to make candy with very little ingredients and means. That made her an effective member of society, and useful according to her.

Her husband passed away not too long ago. All his clothes could be fit into 3 very small boxes. I saved his hat.

Song of the Day: "Fame" by David Bowie. It's the song I used to demo the Victrola... For those who are more curious about the record player, it says all this throughout the piece:
New Vista All Transistor Stereo
RCA Victor Victrola Record Player
model# VS14, Made in Montreal, Canada
(Turntable: AT6 Garrard, Made in England)

3 comments:

Shawn Pallier said...

Or, with the slightly slower speed it plays at, ultra-super-long-play.. I have no idea if any record ever played at that speed, or if the people at RCA just wanted to be able to brag a 4 speed victrola...

chadisarobot said...

i think the slowest speed was for when you were messed up.

Anonymous said...

Shawn I have this same model in perfect working condition . Did you ever find out its value?