Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Brilliance (or Smile-Inducing Stupidity...)

So I've been watching the 1980's series "Sledge Hammer!" on DVD lately.

The first thing I've discovered is it was partially written by Al Jean, of "The Simpsons" fame (or infamy, depending on how you feel about the Simpsons). The second thing I've discovered is the budget wasn't very high.

But the most important thing I've noticed about the series is it's impossible-to-decipher target audience.

On the surface, it's a spoof of the Cop show genre. And it could also be said it's done "Naked Gun/Police Story"-style spoof. But for those who watch far too many movies, every single episode is also based on the outline of a movie... well, maybe a couple were not, but almost all were (hey, kind of like the Simpsons...).

So if you've seen the movie they're spoofing, the comedy can be seen as brilliant. If you haven't seen the movie they're spoofing, you might find yourself saying,

"What is this shit and how did it get on the air?"

So who was this show made for? Cop-show buffs? Movie buffs? Spoof-lovers? All of the above? Is there such thing as someone who loves all of the above at the same time?

Don't take my word for it, see it for yourself.

link of the day:
http://www.sledgehammeronline.com/

Song of the day:
"Immigrant Song" by Led Zeppelin. Because this series also makes me think of "Get Smart", check out how Robert Plant's vocals from the opening of this song totally robs the "Get Smart" Theme song. Hilarious.

2 comments:

chadisarobot said...

hope you r feeling better!

while you were gone I ran your jam into the ground. It was pretty easy, u know its easier to fall than climb!!!!

We did "games" for two weeks in a row, i encouraged players to bring more next week... If they want something different they will bring nothing, lol.

Personally, if there is no idea presented for the jam from the jammers I wouldnt mind doing a long form, or as a group work on telling scenes that take exactly one minute. Opposites , ya... but thems my iderrs

Shawn Pallier said...

I love games due to the fact I often don't know them (or I don't know the same version that they play at CIG). But long form? Okay. Sounds diggity dank.