Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Tiptoe through The Two Lips and the Stage

I'm a little concerned that I'm amplifying a little. You know, making a big deal of nothing.

I've been thinking (too much) lately about misinterpretation, and things said (and did) that didn't mean the same thing to one as it did to the other, or even the original delivery of something onstage that turned out to (universally) mean something that it never intended to mean.

And hey, sometimes it can be hilarious. You can accidentally suggest something onstage that makes you look witty as hell.

But ho, sometimes it can be dangerous. You can accidentally suggest something onstage that makes you look racist, sexist, gay-bashing, and in poor taste.

I'm not going to cite any specifics here. But I can't help but think about it. It's like "broken glass in my head" (John Coffey said that in the Green Mile, and I felt that line big time).

So, for those of you following along, you'll notice that I still haven't found a way that I'm satisfied with to fix this thing I've got with onstage choices. But I'm working on it.

Here is a thing though, that I would like to offer the host of the show or the audience when any one of us says something inappropriate; The Ring of Shame. Let's use it in situations where something like that happens. For a fake example:

BERTOLD: Well, it looks like it's just you and me, loyal sheep. Here, let's huddle for warmth. (BERTOLD mime-cuddles sheep, he accidentally looks like perhaps he's caressing the sheep's bottom... audience laughs tentatively).

HOST: (aside, to note-taker, whispering) Dude, is Bertold gonna launch into a Sheep-shagging joke? That's not only dumb, that's inappropriate. Let's shame'em.

NOTE-TAKER: Agreed. Shame will be awarded upon conclusion of the scene.

I find we use the ring often in only really obvious situations, or only when it would be comical to do so. Let's start using it again for inappropriateness, shall we?

Because sometimes, the actors involved didn't know that they did anything wrong. Then, we can get that out in the open, instead of feeling bad about it afterwards.

We've got it, we introduce it at the top of the show, let's use it.

Song of the Day: "Attitude" By The Inbreds. These guys were the original rock duo (drums and guitar), and from Canada no less. Meh, but I really don't know if they're the original. I just know they predate Meg and Jack by about 10 years.

2 comments:

Kevin Gillese said...

Dear dude,

I have heard your tender plea.

And will award you the ring of shame as often as possible once I return.

You can count on me dude.

Kev

Shawn Pallier said...

Thank you. My dream of sitting out scenes, finally coming true!