Monday, May 08, 2006

Telefunny?

Where would modern man be without the telephone?

I mean, it sure cleared up that old-timey story device where a telegram would arrive "just in time". It seems to me far more likely that a phone call would, so hazzah to the telephone for helping stories (or hindering? discuss).

But boo to the phone for helping us lie.

Man, it's easy to be deceptive over the phone. Maybe the Jetsons had it right: Visaphones. Then, you'd have to sort of look at the other person and tell them the truth... Instead of something about a plan you've got with someone else, you could say:

"Yeah, well as you can see, I'm in my boxers, I'm eating out of a box of cereal, I'm watching Maury, and my hair is all askew. And that's just a little lazy for 7 pm. Yeah, I taped Maury. No, not Tivo'd, what do you think I am, a high-paid hooker? I can't afford no Tivo. Look at this place!"

Then, you could pan your visaphone camera around the room, showing the results of your bohemian lifestyle.

But right now? I can tell you I have a meeting with the president of the United States, and that I'm very busy counting my mountains of gold coins.

And you'd be none the wiser.

No comments: