Thursday, April 27, 2006

Mrs. Jones, Part 2... We're Gonna be Big Stars...

I was reading yesterday's "rant". It needs work.

I guess I'm mostly angry because all the good Oiler stuff has been sold out everywhere. Or I don't really have time to go and get it. You know those window flags I was talking about? I don't have them yet, but I was hoping to get them by today...

Yeah, in retrospect, I'm a follower. And you know what? That's okay.

It's that unnecessary stigma that surrounds "following". It's nothing new to say "It's not the band I hate, it's the fans." It's old hat to say "I used to like (blank), until they sold out." It's not unusual to refer to something as going "commerical".

Hey, I imagine there are people out there that say "Theatresports was cool, until it stared to sell out. I don't go any more."

Actually, those people are more likely refering to the fact that the show "sold out" of tickets.

Guffaw.

But seriously, I have had several of my friends/family say they don't go any more. They say they hate standing in the lines, they hate the growing trend of "funny" suggestions (I don't really see this, if anyone does, please let me know), they hate how crowded it is.

I guess you can't please everyone.

Which awkwardly brings me to a point of sorts; "Following" onstage. Man, that's a tough one. Because sometimes "following" becomes a form of "aping". You know, where you match the other person's energy, emotions, speech patterns, and don't add anything to the scene. There's a way to "ape" and contribute... it's just that if I think any more today, my head will implode.

But there is certainly good following, like accepting the direction of the scene, "following" a leader on a journey, "following" the person of highest status so there is an actual point to your later status switch... the examples go on and on.

So following? It turns out, I'm cool with it.


Song of the Day: "Think Long" by The Mates Of State. It inspires me to have different opinions on a single subject. That is, if I think long enough, I see both sides. A blessing and a curse.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The fact that Theatresports is crowded can be somewhat annoying, however, it goes to show that people in Edmonton are starting to seek out different and meaningful forms of entertaintment.

Anonymous said...

Just to warn you: Those Oilers car flags are sold out EVERYWHERE.
My mom was searching for one yesterday.
If you find a place where there are some left, let me know!
Erin

Anonymous said...

Counting Crows reference + Sloan reference = you being the coolest person ever.