Thursday, April 13, 2006

L'eggo my Ego: Are we at RFT Celebrities?

Erik, you got the modified Model T engine that is my brain running...

I made a comment on Erik's blog the other day when he referred to me as one of the gurus that runs the prospect jam. I had a little giggle, because when I first came to the workshops RFT offers, I referred to myself as a "wandering improv guru" to several of my instructors: Kevvy and Bill, mostly.

Yes, and how I wandered. From Edmonton, to Fort McMurray, to...uh... Edmonton again. There's a voice that keeps on calling me...

But seriously, I've been on a lot of Improv teams... (flex, flex) "The Slurpees" (1993), "The Young and the Useless" (1994), "Three Men and a Mountain (1995), "Bite the Wax Tadpole" (1999-00) "Blind Man Funprov" (2001-02), and finally, RFT.

And hells yeah, it's awesome. I've had a few people walk up to me and ask me about the show, and say I'm wicked, one that said I "wasn't bad", one that said I'm "not the worst" or whatevs. And I've said to a few friends that it blows my mind when somebody thinks I'm a demicelebrity.
Now here's the question: are we all at RFT demi to full-blown celebrities?

Is that simply because we get up on stage in front of a dedicated audience?

If the answer is yes, wow. Line 'em up, I'm gonna sign some boobies.

But somehow, I don't want to label us as such. I would never want that to get in the way of what we're trying to do; Constantly improve in quality.

Tell the wrong person they're a celebrity, and there out there signing boobies instead of learning their craft. But then again, it might keep some people moving. It might be nice to hear it, and it might seem to be a measure of success.

If all of this is so, do we have certain responsiblilities due to our, uh, patency? Obviously, be good ambassadors for RFT, but is there more?

I guess if one person thinks "Celebrity", others must be. So it really becomes a question "do we think of ourselves as", not "are we".

My motor's out of gas.

Song of the day: "Honey Bucket" by The Melvins. Yeah, you heard me. The Melvins.

3 comments:

Quahtreenuh said...

OOH SIGN MINE SIGN MINE!!!

...because you AREN'T the worst ;)

Anonymous said...

Mike loves animal-related innuendo.

No, Shawn, we aren't celebs, and here's why: Nobody cares if we get pregnant or become scientologists. Also, Klyment hardly qualifies as paparazzi. That said, I sign my own boobies daily. I forge the signatures of famous people in mirror-reverse until I can legibly and credibly reproduce celebrity boob-sigs, then show them off to my friends. Every boy should have a hobby...

chadisarobot said...

because shawn wrote about boobies I can't look at his blog from the computer at my parents house, lol...

my parents will never find out if shawn gets to sign a tit.

just a weird point to ponder, have u ever noticed that boobs are only hot 50% of the time??? I am not talking from person to person.... i mean sometimes ur like..."oh. a tit." and other times u would let a girl run u over with a car in exchange for a look???

my friends band does gigs where they only play when they can see a boob... as soon as there are no naked breasts they stop, then when there is they pick up the song where they left off... its really funny but WHY???

I still shake my head at the power of a boob, while admitting signing one seems to be a sign of "making it"