Monday, April 17, 2006

Don't Worry, Be Crappy?

It's hard not to think hard.

Let me explain.

I was thinking very hard about improv. Too hard. So, I started to think less and less, so that seemingly improved my performance/creations. And, just like perscription drugs, it seems that the "no thinky" drug cocktail is not working as well as it used to, so I'm going to have to switch medication.

I'm a bit of a black-and-white chap, so it's now time to find something in between. I'm wearing grey pants today, so that's a start.

I had some troubles with word selection a few days ago at the show (that is, I said some words I shouldn't have said) and then was later told not to worry so much about it, which softened the blow. But it's hard for me to not punish myself for misbehaving. That's why I think I need a new formula. One that can put some sort of "Thought Filter" on things before they exit my body and mouth; Yeah, a thought filter for my body. You have to think before you move, don't you? Unless someone hits you with a reflex hammer, but reflexes aren't the subject here... are they?

The petrifying thing about improv: I don't know what I'm going to say or do next.
The great thing about improv: I don't know what I'm going to say or do next.

There's got to be a way to be in AND out of control. A controlled chaos, if you will. I'll go to the Lab in my lair, and I'll tell you in a couple of days what I came up with.

Now where's my coat and goggles, and hair gel, so I can get the perfect "Doc Brown" look going?

Today's Song: "A.M. Slow Golden Hit" by Hotel Lights. The band is lead by Darren Jessee, formerly of the Ben Folds Five. It's an interesting statement on music. Listen and enjoy, unless you don't like the soft stuff.

1 comment:

chadisarobot said...

one hardy boy to the other, i think the trick is understanding everything we do is a choice.

In life we know when to bite our tounge and rethink what we shouldn't say. We have the same time to do this on stage, but the problem is that we are in "the matrix" on stage, where the boundries of reality are not concrete and we can actually get away with murder, feel bad and bring the corpse back to life then kill it again.

I think that you are just finding a deeper level of the idea: do scenes not jokes... if you are actually being true to your character instead of saying something that might get a reaction just to get one then you will not have to worry about content 98% of the time.

of course i never saw what you did and for all i know u should be burned.

:) outro,
chad