Thursday, April 20, 2006

Fabric Swatches Won't Make a Tux

Every single time I hear a song, I think it's perfect for either:

a) The Start of a Movie

or

b) The Start of a Play

But then I remember, you need a film or a play to put music at the start of it.

On at least two occasions I've been a part of a series of short stories onstage presented as a play; a "Story Collage" if you will; I had many dedicated co-collaborators on said projects.

Now, I've been thinking about the one I want to work on, and started to realize it's nothing but a series of short stories strung together again. Nope, not a central story changing locations, but a series of stories focusing on the same character. It's disheartening.

I just want to tell a complete story that's longer than 15-20 minutes. I want inspiration.

So, as anyone in my position would want to do, I'm going to try and force a dream tonight of Saraswati, the Hindu Goddess of knowledge and the arts. She'll ride down towards me on her swan (or goose, if the mood catches her), and she's going to straighten my story out and make everything clear to me.

God might be pissed that I'm trying out another religion, but he's known for forgiveness. I hope he understands. If he doesn't forgive me, as Rev. Lovejoy once said about religion, "They're really all the same."

But then God destroyed his train.

Song of the Day: "Different Names for the Same Thing" by Death Cab for Cutie. In a way, this song is treated a lot like I'm treating my current project. It starts with a wistful piano/needle skips and pops/dreamlike vocals of Benjamin Gibbard thing, and then, that idea is either thrown away or expanded into a grandiose pop overdose. It could have ended shortly after the 2 minute mark, but it's a shoegazing band! 5 minute minimum!

PS-- The Maple Leafs fired Pat Quinn. Must be the gum.

3 comments:

Quahtreenuh said...

I am the same way with most songs. "What sort of scene would this go with?" ... your CD I'm all "Hmm this is like the soundtrack of my life"
But then aren't movies/plays and music made for the same basic general reasons? So it only stands to reason that one would put them together in one's mind...no?

Anonymous said...

"The Maple Leafs fired Pat Quinn. Must be the gum."

I've got a feeling that they didn't appreciate his "i don't need to fully open my eyes for this shit" kind of attitude.

Jonathan Kobewka said...

yeah man... Its hard to do things. But you just got to do them. For me it is much smaller projects but it is still difficult. I have been telling my self I will write more but it is tough. Its cool to here about these sort of things.