Thursday, June 08, 2006

Dare to be the Same

Not that long ago, I ridiculed a friend for getting very excited that CCR was coming to Edmonton's Klondike Days... er... Capital Ex? Cap-X?... Anyway, he got very excited that CCR was coming to town.

I laughed.

I was like "CCR? Dude, that's not Creedence Clearwater Revival, that's Creedence Clearwater Revisted! They're just a cover band!"

Hahahaha...

No, wait.

Look at the picture just above this.

That's Stu Cook. Of the Creedence Clearwater Revival... and Creedence Clearwater Revisited.

And the picture above Stu? That's Doug Clifford, of CCR and CCR.

Well shut my mouth.

But what are we going to do without the dulcet tones of the Brothers Fogerty?... I sense a possible gong show. Or brilliance. I guess I'll have to go and find out.

One thing is for certain: I'm going to see Hot Hot Heat. And here's an interesting little factoid for those who are also fans of the band: They file them in the "punk" section at HMV. Not too sure why, but that's where you find them.

On an improv-related note, I read recently on an expert's improv blog that "most companies would never start their show with a 10-minute rookie round".

Well, I guess we're not like most companies... I don't really like the fact that he referred to the round as being the home of the "weakest" players, because I think we prove consistantly that it can be the home of the most no-holds-barred, high-energy, something-else-that-can-be-separated-by-hyphens improv this side of the nuthouse.

But hey, read the article for yourself:

Link of the Day:
http://www.improworldtour.com/improblog/
Interesting insight, and curious convictions. I enjoy reading it.

Song of the Day:
"Bitches Ain't Shit" by Ben Folds. Move over Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg.
Listen to it here:
http://www.myspace.com/ladylovinlynx

2 comments:

Shawn Pallier said...

I'll definitely miss the faux-bayou accent.
But I guess he'd rather sing "Centerfield" at some other county fair. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Hey Shawn,
Thanks for reading my notes about impro. I was just working with a couple of the guys from Rapid Fire while we were in Washington. Just wanted to leave a little response to your comments if I may,

Where I said "most companies would never start their show with a 10-minute rookie round". and you said that you aren't like most companies, GOOD FOR YOU! That's great to hear. MOST companies around the world that I've been to (maybe 20 or 30 by now) have this preoccupation with what they see as "SUCCESS". They think they must always make the audience laugh, that they must always weight the show with their 'quickest' and 'strongest' players BUT I think they are missing the point.

When Keith Johnstone was here at the Loose Moose and we were focussed on theatresports, he always said how important it was for the feel of the show and the growth of the company to have the opening "10 minute game" of our weaker/rooky players. So Good on ya for embracing a healthier attitude than most companies.

NOW - I just have to comment as well on the terminology of "weaker" players. The term is probably not the best (Rooky is probably a better term)and it was humerous that you called it the "most no-holds-barred, high-energy, something-else-that-can-be-separated-by-hyphens improv."

There are great strengths to "NEWER" improvisers... ("Newbies, Green, beginning level, uh... young in the process improvisers) There is often a great fearlessness that senior performers admire and great passiion. But... they are often 'weaker' generally or they probably would be holding down a bigger part of the show. I've seen BRILLIANT scenes done by rooky improvisers BUT the consistancy isn't there yet and more often it is a weaker quality (Why aren't rooky players doing the entire show?.

I have my Weak days, you have your weak days BUT having good, consistant technique, presence and content makes us over-all stronger improvisers.

Musn't let the ego get in the way of our work. If we are weaker, so be it. It gives us somewhere to go.

In the early days, Keith and then artistic associate Dennis Cahill would create different levels of performers A - B - C and sometimes lower level performers. Often the people who were publicly grouped as C or D players would cave in and leave the theatre with crushed egos BUT more often they would rise up and WORK WORK WORK until they could kick the ass of any 'A' player. It was a bad system and didn't last long but showed how we are affected by our 'ego' and how we HATE being categorized as "weaker" even if we were.

Strong, Weak... doesn't really matter. Just do the work to the best of your ability and trust that the artistic directors of theatre companies are doing their job and putting you into a spot in the show that supports your growth and most of all, the show itself.

All the best,
Shawn
(probaly will change the blog to reflect a better terminology)