Tuesday, November 21, 2006

It's a Mad World

Some people give me a rough time about my Tears for Fears album.

They're like, "Dude, why would you have something so hopelessy 80's and cheesy in your otherwise acceptable music collection? Why deviate from the path of awesomeness?"

I object. That album is awesome.

And I'm glad that the glowing miracle that is television is proving my point yet again...

There's that commercial (for a video game, "Gears of War"), you know the one. A dude looking like a GI Joe on steriods is running through barren, war-torn streets. He's passing bodies, debris, and the obligatory children's toy...

GI Juice-monkey enters an abandoned, shattered building. Hiding in the dark: A gigantic, robotic spider. Our hapless soldier spews machine gun bullets from his phallus, only to be (possibly) dramatically defeated by four sharp mechanical legs...

Now, the score to this commercial should be obvious. It should be "Random Metal" by "Studio Musicians pretending to be a Band". Or perhaps it would be "Dramatic Cheaply-Purchased Rights to Orchestra kind-of sounding like John Williams"... But nay. It is a haunting rendition of Roland Orzabal's classic Tears for Fears song "Mad World" as interpreted by Michael Andrews and Gary Jules, also heard in "Donnie Darko" and at the top of the UK charts in 2003.

Everybody wants to rule the world, and Tears for Fears, you once did. And you still rule a portion of my heart.

4 comments:

J D Coulter said...

I love Tears for Fears, they were a great band then, and hey if you can still tap your foot to the songs then they must be a great band now. Though they can't hold a candle to Duran Duran

Trish van Doornum said...

Tears for Fears ROCKS!!! But I have to say, the cover of Mad World from Donnie Darko does kick the original's ass, but just a little. I totally agree about Duran Duran though. The Reflex Is a lonley town...Ooh, check out my blog

The MacKenzie Family Circus said...

It is simply wrong to ignore the profound impact of Depeche Mode's synth-pop angst. If you remember Blasphemous Rumours, you know what I'm saying.

Stranger said...

Shout..shout..let it all out....damn I love Tears For Fears.Duran Duran was good too...Depeche Mode was what I listened to alot in my teens..but Pet Shop Boys will always be my fave.