Monday, September 03, 2007

A Confession: Theatre Buff? No.

I'm comfortable with finally admitting it: I don't go to live theatre.

It's a mistake I plan on fixing with the upcoming theatre season. It's not some sort of weird obligation that I'm feeling, it's really a strong desire to start enjoying what my friends are doing. I mean, it's not like I've never gone to live theatre. It's just that I go about as often as I go to hockey games or weddings... So, like, once or twice a year.

There's only so long that I can continue to be uninvolved in the world that I constantly continue to educate myself in. I've been to College, University, private academies and Workshops, workshops, workshops, all so that I could be an actor. I have spent at least 4 years of my life training and fighting and sweating and losing my hair (that could just be a coincidence) to be involved in and enjoy theatre, and if that means watching it and appreciating it from the sidelines, then so be it.

I've got a lot of good choices coming up. Out of those 60(!!!) theatre companies/co-ops operating in the city, there's bound to be some reeking of awesomeness. Here's what I've found so far for September:

A Beautiful View @ the Roxy Theatre (Theatre Network)
September 20-October 7.

The Busy World is Hushed @ The Third Space (Northern Light Theatre) Sept. 14-30

The Maids @ Timms Centre for the Arts, (Studio Theatre) September 20-29

Nashville Outlaws @ Mayfield Dinner Theatre August 31-November 4

Noises Off @ The Shoctor Theatre (Citadel) September 22-October 14

Pub Night Variety Show @ Jeckyl and Hyde Pub (Image Theatre) September 22-23

Scythe
@ Catalyst Theatre (Dammitdance Theatre) September 20-30

Sexy Laundry @ Varscona Theatre (Shadow Theatre) September 20-30

Theatresports @ Varscona Theatre (Rapid Fire Theatre) Every Friday Sept 22 thru July 27

CHiMPROV
@ Varscona Theatre (Rapid Fire Theatre) Every Saturday Sept 23 thru July 28

Die-Nasty Soap-A-Thon @ Varscona Theatre September 14-16

29 @ Jubilations Dinner Theatre August 17-October 28

Will the Real Alberta Please Stand Up? (Artist on Rails) September 13... And this one's on a train from Edmonton to Jasper...

Anyone got anything else?

Pub Night Variety Show @ Jeckyl and Hyde Pub (Image Theatre) September 22-23

No comments: