Tuesday, February 27, 2007

On Mick Jagger and Screeching

I really enjoyed the Wolfmother concert.

'Nuff said on that. Judge me if you want.

Side notes on that concert:

Dude from the Icarus Line: You're pretty good, and you'll only get better. But there's only one Mick Jagger, and you're not it. David Johansen, AKA Buster Poindexter, tried to act like Mick when he was in the New York Dolls & when he was solo, and he looked silly. Just imagine what you look like. Find your own thing. And no, the crotch grabbing wasn't it. That's Michael Jackson.

Dudes in Wolfmother: Experimental is definitely good. It's cool to hear that you want to go in new directions. A band I love very much, Spoon, is constantly experimenting. And guess what? Their songs are pretty short. And good... Which brings me to my point...

You guys had a lot of fun treating us to some long-form jams. But experimental doesn't have to be long-form. Don't get the two confused. This ain't the 60's or 70's any more. I didn't find "The Sultans of Swing" to be all that experimental, yet it was damn long. In fact, it was quite plain... You see? Long can be boring. Boring. Boring... and screeching can be annoying.

Despite all the criticism, I had a f'n blast. I loved it, and it was lovely. The music was tight, loud, and entertaining. I just need to be all artsy and critic-y to make me feel better about my own non-existent music career.

Oooo. Burn. On myself.

See? I can go from self-righteous to self-loathing in 5.5 seconds. That should be my superpower.

No comments: